Saturday, January 18, 2014

Bloomington!

Hello Everyone!!!

Sorry about not emailing last week! We got some pretty crazy weather here in Indiana! The high last Monday was -10 with a -30 wind chill, so we spent the majority of the day inside. The weather caused problems all over and the library here had some water leaks that caused it to be shut down for a couple days! So, be prepared to get 2 weeks worth of Sister London updates in one email...hopefully I can remember to include everything!

Jan. 1 we had transfer meeting! So we headed to the Fishers chapel to get our new assignments. I have been reassigned to serve in the Highland ward in Bloomington Indiana, which is South of where I have been, Bllomington is a cute little town! My companion is Sister Jones. She is awesome and we are very similar! It has been so fun working with her and it's been very easy to get along with her. She is from Orem, Utah and is the oldest with 3 little brothers. She has been out one transfer longer than me, which is great because now, we both know how to be missionaries and get to work more! We have some pretty solid people we are teaching! There are about 6 investigators who have said they want to be baptized, they just won't accept a baptismal date. :( We dates set for them that we will be extending this week that are probably a bit more realistic. We met this really awesome guy this week at a less-active's house. We were helping her make a Family Mission Plan and were sharing a scripture about missionary work with her. Her friend, Chris wanted to join us so we talked about the scripture and missionary work and then let the less-active share with him what we believe! It was perfect for her to start using her plan! We gave him a Book of Mormon and a Restoration pamphlet. He has never really looked into our church and is pretty excited to read and find out more. After we left, Rhonda (the LA), Chris, and his GF Amber read from the Book of Mormon together. The next day as we planned, Rhonda called and told us that Chris wants to meet Wed. night at 8:00! So we are super excited to teach him this week! He is super awesome!

So funny story! Sister Jones has been telling me all about this potential who is just so great. She didn't really explain to me much about him, just that he's pretty entertaining. So on Friday we stop by to see him. He is kind of older and was smoking (like everyone here...). So we sit down to talk to him and he tells us all about the USS Indianapolis that was sunk during WW2. He was telling the story because he has been trying to do some Family History and thinks his dad was on that ship. Then we start trying to talk to him about the gospel...he goes on and on about his Indian Bible that is the most correct bible on the earth. He talks about a Chinese Bible and some other bible as well. He just goes on and on talking about these random things and doesn't give a chance to talk...this whole time I keep thinking, "He is just like Uncle Si!" I get home and look at my Duck Dynasty cup with Si on it and realize that if this guy had a beard, he would look just like Uncle Si! It was so funny!!!!!!!!!!! 

We had some pretty cool experiences yesterday too! We went tracting for a little bit and met some pretty interesting people! A couple who show some awesome potential and then some who aren't quite as ready to accept the gospel. We knocked this one door and this guy kept telling us how wrong we were. He went on and on about how the Book of Mormon isn't true even though he had never read it. It was a big learning experience for me...learning in a way that I learned a lot of self-control and didn't snap at him or say something rude back to him! Then this morning, in my personal study I read a scripture in Alma 44 that said " And now see that you cannot destroy this our faith." It was such a strength to me to know that no matter how hard people try to bring us down and shake our faith, they can't! I know why I am here and I know that everything that man said to try to persuade us to not believe, is false! So, my little bit of advice this week is to hold onto your faith! People are always going to try to bring you down, do not let them! They can only destroy you if you allow them to! 

Sorry again for the novel...I hope I was able to tell you the things you wanted to know...if not, I am sorry!! It is hard to remember everything! Oh, one fun fact is that I am the perfect height for this apartment! Nothing is really that tall...except my bed...I have to jump to get on that every night! It is kind of funny!!

I love you all!!

-Sister Abbie London

No comments:

Post a Comment